Work | Mimecast and Unifi Deployment

I’ve been super busy at work recently, I just finished up two big projects. We switched over to Mimecast’s email security suite. The whole deployment took a bit of planning and some of fixing of DNS/MX records but I am proud to say that the project is finished. So far, Mimecast has been working great and has been catching a lot more spam/phishing emails than the previous solution that was in place.

The other project I have been working on was switching over to unifi wifi setup with a Ubuntu VM as the Unifi Controller. Man, this project has been a headache and we ran into multiple roadblocks. The network diagram is configured as below. I had to trunk the port from out Cisco Firepower 2110 to all of the switches so we could put APs on any of the IDF switches.

At first, everything seemed fine… Then came the complains about not being able to connect. This seemed to be a DHCP issue with Windows Computers. All Android or iPhones were able to get a DHCP address but computers were not able to obtain an IP. Our Cisco Firepower was the acting DHCP server. I don’t know why but the Firepower was having some issues so I made the Firepower a DHCP relay to have our DC hand out DHCP. This seemed to fix the issue with people not being able to connect but then a new issue arose.

The APs would be working fine for hours and then they would all go to “Missing Heartbeat” status. After hours of troubleshooting, giving the APs static IPs, and hair pulling, I ended up putting the APs onto the same VLAN as the controller and allowed the wireless SSIDs to place people onto the correct VLAN.

Since then, the APs seem to be very stable and I have not seen any issues with the wireless. This was my first roll out of the Unifi APs and even though I pulled my hair out for days trying to see what I was missing, I would still recommend them to anyone needing an enterprise solution because of the controllers ease of use.